Sunday, February 2, 2014

Valentine's Day Love Bug Gift

LOVE BUG MAGNETS FOR VALENTINES DAY!


Here is a fun craft for the kids to make for their parents, relatives, etc. for Valentines Day.
It is pretty easy, and very low on mess.  Love Bugs!

I started with a piece of red craft foam and traced out the hearts shapes. Two hearts will make the wings for one "love bug".  I made a heart out of paper first as a template because it's much easier to cut a pretty heart when the paper is folded.  I made the hearts a size that would fit best on popsicle stick I was using.  Just experiment on scrap paper until you get the size you need.  I am having 4 children make love bugs, so I made 8 hearts.


Other supplies include popsicle sticks (you can use precolored, or plain). I like to use plain sticks and let the kids color them with markers.  I also got lot of peel and stick foam heart stickers in the dollar area at Target (of course I got them last year after valentine's day for more than 1/2 off! - always grab things after the season is over when it is on clearance) .  Googly eyes are always great to use to make these little critters really cute!


I hot glue the wings onto the popsicle sticks ahead of time, as well as hot gluing the magnet on the back of the popsicle stick.  While the glue gun is out I also put the googly eyes on the stick above the wings (you'll see in the finished product). The child's name and year the craft was made is nice to put on the back.


Have the kids decorate the large foam hearts (wings) by sticking the heart stickers on them, they can also add designs with colored markers if they wish.   Let them make it there own, and be as creative as they want.  When they are done the person who receives this Valentine gift has a great keepsake to see on their fridge everyday!



You can also make a simple card with folded construction paper (red, pink, or purple) decorated with markers, crayons, or paint and stickers.  If you feel like it you can put  --- Happy Valentine's Day From Your Little "Love Bug" on the card.

Have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment