Sunday, May 4, 2014

Transportation

Transportation is our theme for a couple weeks.  We talked about the basics - cars, trains, airplanes, helicopters, bikes, skateboards, etc.  and some of the kids suggested things like parachutes and roller skates as well.  So many things to explore with this topic. 
 

BOOKS:

 

Fred and Ted's Road Trip by Peter Eastman

Clink Clank Clunk! by Miriam Aroner
The Big Book of Things That Go by Dorling Kindersley Limited
Red Light, Green Light by Margaret Wise Brown
Jets by Carrie A. Braulick.
Helicopters by Jeffrey Zuehlke
 

ART:

Painting With Cars

When we read the funny book Fred and Ted's Road Trip by Peter Eastman, one of the character's in the book drives his car through a mud puddle.  This was perfect for us to lead right into our art project.  I filled up a plate with brown paint and we pretended it was a mud puddle. I supplied the kids different types of toy cars that had different types of wheels on them (some smooth, some with bumps, etc.) so that they could get a different pattern depending which one they used.  I gave them some light green card stock (good to have heavy paper to allow for them to "drive" a lot without ripping the paper), and let them drive around. 

 
 



Paper Airplanes


I didn't take any pictures of these as it was too hard for me to take a picture of each fold I made as I was making them.  Once the kids started playing with them outside we were having so much fun I forgot to take any pictures and then they took them home!  Sorry.  For this project I again used heavy cardstock so the planes would hold up well when we flew them outside.  The kids decorated them with stickers, markers, and crayons however they wanted (we folded the paper together first - I folded and they pressed it down flat and straight).
I used the book Paper airplanes. Flight school level 1  by Christopher L. Harbo.  It has instructions and photo-illustrated diagrams for making a variety of paper airplanes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment