Sunday, April 26, 2015

Traffic Safety

I have another post about transportation and the fun books we read and crafts we did back in May of 2014.  But I wanted to add this one about Traffic Safety.

During our theme of transportation I talked with my preschoolers about being safe when there are cars, buses, and other forms of transportation around.  We talked about crossing the street with adults only and NEVER running after a ball or toy if it goes into the street.

We read the book Red Light, Green Light by Margaret Wise Brown.  Another book that is good is We Learn about Road Safety by Constance Omawumi kola-Lawai.

When we went outside we played "Red Light, Green Light".

During circle time we sang the Traffic Light Song:

Red on top
Green below
Red means stop
Green means go
Yellow means wait
Even if you're late!


For our craft we made our own traffic lights and pasted the Traffic Light Song on the back.

I drew 3 circles with white crayon on black paper. I used a can of soup to make the circles.  I cut the paper in a shape of a traffic light.

Then I gathered red, yellow, and green paper (I used thin cheap construction paper so it is easier for the preschoolers to rip).  The preschoolers ripped the colored paper into small pieces. This is a great small motor exercise for their little fingers that need strength for writing.




Then they used glue sticks to cover the circles and fill them with the correct color for the traffic signal.
 Below you see one of my preschoolers wanted to see how the pieces of paper would stick if she "made it rain" down onto the paper.

When they were done we glued a copy of the song on the back. The non-ripped traffic light in the picture is a sample I show them so they know the order of the colors.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment