Sunday, February 1, 2015

WINTER - Mittens, Frozen Paint, Snow and Puffy Snowmen

This winter we did some new fun crafts.  Although we had frozen paint last year, this year we used the FROZEN PAINT TO DECORATE MITTENS:

I poured ordinary washable tempera paint into ice cube trays, I put foil over it and pushed through popsicle sticks.  I'm sorry I forgot to take a picture of the frozen paint, but if you look in my archives you'll see how it is done.
We used the paint to decorate one mitten, then folded the mittens together so that they matched!
 I punched a hole and tied a piece of yarn through the holes to keep the mittens together.

SNOW!!
I found a great recipe for play snow at www.1stgradefantabulous.blogspot.com.  Super simple, mixing white hair conditioner and baking soda.  The kids had a great time playing in the snow with small animals and even making snowballs!
  

PUFFY SNOWMEN:

First I read the story, Snowmen At Night - It is a fun story that shows what snowmen do at night and by the end of the book the snowmen are a little moved about.  The snowmen we make will look like that.

I mix shaving cream and glue.  No exact measurements just stir it until seems thick.  The glue will keep the shaving cream from evaporating.
 It is easiest for the kids to put the "snow" on the paper with a craft stick.  They put 3 circles (or however they want) and then they stick on the eyes, nose, hat, arms, etc.  Because there is glue in the shaving cream the paper items will stick easily.


The end result is great.  There is a "puffiness" to the snowman almost like real snow.  After a week or so it will get a little less puffy, but still very cool. 



No comments:

Post a Comment